Networker

Re: [Networker] How to avoid library reconfiguration

2007-01-23 14:06:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to avoid library reconfiguration
From: Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:11:31 -0500
Davina,

If I am reading you correctly, and I think I am we have the same issue
when we take down our WIndows 2003 server and storage nodes....but
rather than reconfigure the library, there is a much easier fix.  While
it is true that you can not have persistent binding, what you CAN do is
when the Windows 2003 server boots, check your tape drive devices in a
command prompt by running inqure -lc.  This shows you the SCSI devices
addresses for the tape that are currently assigned.  If they are out of
order, you can go into Device Manager and disable your tape devices and
then re-enable them in the correct order by LUN id.  Once you do that,
you can then re-enable Networker and all is well.

If this works for you, I think it beats dumping Windows 2003 for
Solaris hands down.

Kevin

Robert Vuerstaek wrote:

>I have a Netbackup 7.3.2 server

I assume you mean NetWorker...  ;-)

>and 3 storage nodes, all on  Win 2003
>servers. My library with 4 LTO3 fibre Tape-drives is SAN connected to
>the 4 servers via Qlogic boards (QLA2462).  DDS for the 4 tapedrives
is
>enabled and on the Qlogic boards Persistent Binding is activated
(with
>SanSurfer utility).
>
>The logical tapepaths are \\.\Tape0, \\.\Tape1, \\.\Tape2 and
\\.\Tape3.

>When I loose, for whatever what reason, the connection to a tapedrive
>and the server is rebooted, the tapedrives are scanned again and I
will
>have the following logical paths: \\.\Tape0, \\.\Tape1and \\.\Tape2.
>Because the logical tapepaths have been changed, I need to
reconfigure
>the library with jbconfig.
>
>Does anybody have a solution for this problem in order to avoid
>reconfiguring the library?
>
>Persistent binding does not solve this.

You're right - it doesn't. Persistent binding only fixes part of the
mapping - the part which maps WWNN or WWPN to SCSI addresses. The
mapping of device names to SCSI addresses is done dynamically at boot
time in Windows. In Solaris this only happens when you run a
reconfiguration reboot, but in Windows you have no control. It seems
that no-one involved in the design of Windows ever envisaged using a
system large enough to run multiple tape drives.

There is no solution other than to use a different operating system.

networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with
this list. You can access the archives at