Networker

Re: [Networker] Hardware and software upgrade, which version?

2007-01-15 21:55:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hardware and software upgrade, which version?
From: Rodney Rutherford <rrutherf AT TRIPOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:47:29 -0600
I wholeheartedly agree.  Especially if you are upgrading to the latest
7.3.x version of NetWorker, as there are lots of changes in regard to
supported platforms, not too mention all of the discussed issues with it.

For example, in order to run NetWorker on Red Hat, you have to run RHEL 4
for 7.3.x, but you can only run RHEL 3 for 7.2.x.

In my case, I built my new server with RHEL 4 and 7.3 and tested that, only
to decide to ditch it and go with 7.2.2, which required me to also downgrade
to RHEL 3.  Of course, I then had to qualify RHEL 3.x with my Dell hardware
and EMC SAN before I could even test NetWorker.

After testing for a few weeks, I cutover my production backups to it, and
then held on to my old server (E280R/Solaris 9/NW 7.2.1) for a while until
I was 100% comfortable with the new config.

Rodney

Werth, Dave wrote:
My approact on this is if I'm going to upgrade both the hardware and
software (OS & app) then I just do a clean install of the new software on
the new hardware and keep the old backup server around for a while until I
no longer needed it for the immediate type of restores (about 3 months in my
case).

I keep a database of backups that's separate from Networker so I don't have
to worry about keeping things in the Networker DB forever.

Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon
dave.werth<at>garmin.com
--
Rodney P. Rutherford - Senior UNIX Administrator - Tripos, Inc.
Web: http://www.tripos.com/