Networker

Re: [Networker] How to do client-side encryption

2007-01-05 08:21:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to do client-side encryption
From: Nico De Ranter <nico AT SONYCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:12:45 +0100
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 12:55 +0100, Oscar Olsson wrote:
> On 2007-01-04 10:38, Stan Horwitz revealed:
>
> SH> What you need to do  is look at encryption solutions other than
> NetWorker. I
> SH> suggest you look into investing an encryption appliance. I recently
> SH> evaluated an Ingrian Networks encryption appliance and I like it a lot, as
> SH> does our CISO. This solution does everything you mentioned, plus more.
> We're
> SH> in the process of determining how to finance this solution now. Check out
> SH> details at http://www.ingrian.com/
>
> Or, if you're cheap, and want an open source solution, try GnuPG. We
> encrypt database dumps with gnuPG and then move them to a directory which
> we in turn back up. If you want an extra layer of security, you ca nelect
> to only keep the public key on the server, and keep the private key
> somewhere safe. This method probably works better than any hardware
> appliance for smaller installations/deployments.

Yep, we're cheap.  There is no way I can get the budget for the Ingrian.
The gnuPG solution is what I'm looking for, however I was hoping for a
way to do the encryption on the fly otherwise I'll need twice the
storage on the clients.  Also it would be hard to do incremental backups
with your solution I guess.

Nico

--
Nico De Ranter