Networker

Re: [Networker] How to do client-side encryption

2007-01-04 10:44:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to do client-side encryption
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:38:38 -0500
On Jan 4, 2007, at 4:10 AM, Nico De Ranter wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to do client-side encryption using Networker
7.3.2. I know I can do aes encryption using AES ASM but if I understand it correctly this uses a single key per backup server and the encryption
is done on the server (I assume).

What I'm looking for is a way to do public/private key encryption on the
client side so the data is encrypted from the moment it leaves the
client and the encryption overhead is spread over all clients.  Also I
need to be able to use different keysets for each client.

Any ideas?

What you need to do is look at encryption solutions other than NetWorker. I suggest you look into investing an encryption appliance. I recently evaluated an Ingrian Networks encryption appliance and I like it a lot, as does our CISO. This solution does everything you mentioned, plus more. We're in the process of determining how to finance this solution now. Check out details at http://www.ingrian.com/

You should also check this list's archives and search for "encryption" because you are not the first to ask about it here. The archives might provide you with some helpful information.