Networker

Re: [Networker] Experiences with 7.3.2

2006-10-04 17:20:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Experiences with 7.3.2
From: Scott Harney <scott_harney AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:09:03 -0500
Daniel Rich wrote:
We upgraded last week and so far haven't seen any new problems.  It does
seem to perform better than 7.3.1.
We're at 7.3.1 now. We are migrating from TSM to networker and deployed on 7.3.0 initially. We experienced many of the problems and bugs that have already been detailed on this list.
Just for the record, I have a fairly large environment, so many of the
7.3.1 problems I was seeing may not affect other folks.  I'm pushing
about 50TB of data a month through a single server and doing most of the
backups via. NFS.  At one point my indices were over 200GB (since been
trimmed, but they're still in the 80GB range).
I'd be curious what problems you've seen as our environment is of similar size. We're pushing 75TB/month through a single networker server (Solaris) and our indexes right now are at about 40GB. And we still have some substantial hosts to migrate. Our STK tape silos are managed by ACSLS and networker's handling of ACSLS has been the source of many woes (not disabling devices that have tapes stuck in them after 10 tries. not enabling the silo on a server restart due to a problem with one drive. losing tapes in inventory requiring periodic nsrjb -II operations. no ability to use jbedit or GUI configuration to make on the fly changes or dedicated storage node adds). The nsrd server is standalone. All storage nodes are remote storage nodes attached to backup devices. We replicate /nsr to a remote cold standby using Veritas volume replicator.

We ran until very recently on the default nsrauth method. We experienced numerous timeouts, a sluggish GUI, etc. Switching to oldauth is making a substantial difference. I don't know if networker can utilize SSL hardware acceleration but then I don't know if that would help the nsrauth methods or not(is it a code problem or resource exhaustion). Regardless, the hardened nsrauth is not nearly as important to us as actually completing backups, preferably within their alloted windows.

Stein-Are Smoge wrote:
Hi, Networker 7.3.2 have now been released. Have anyone installed it? And how does it seem to work compared with 7.3.1? It it safe for production in a medium enviroment?
"signoff networker" in the

"signoff networker" in the