Networker

[Networker] Can't restore windows full backup - "RPC error: RPC receive operation failed"

2006-05-26 10:50:37
Subject: [Networker] Can't restore windows full backup - "RPC error: RPC receive operation failed"
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:46:40 -0400
I'm in a bind...one of the Windows file servers died last night (just before the full backup), and Legato won't let us restore from the last full to another box.

Backup server is Solaris 9, running Legato 7.2.

When attempting to restore a fairly large directory (with the most recent browse time, so this should go back 1 week to the full and then all the incrementals since), the recover will fail with "RPC error: RPC receive operation failed. A network connection could not be established with the host". Now, I know what this normally means, but there are no firewalls, etc. in the way here.

The most interesting part? We can restore one of the subdirectories fine. It doesn't complain. We just can't restore the whole thing.

So, I tried to do a save set restore of the full (the incrementals seem to work). On the windows client, when going to select the G drive, none of the full backups show in the saveset list - only the incrementals. There are a few "partial" drives listed - i.e.

<11>G:\
<12>G:\
<2>G:\
<9>G:\

but selecting anything from there says that it can't be recovered because it is an "intermediate" saveset (as expected).

Oddly, when looking at the savesets from the UNIX side, I see the fulls listed under G:\, but I can't restore them because of the OS difference.

Any ideas?

-Brian

"signoff networker" in the