Networker

[Networker] Save Set Consolidation - Any Thoughts?

2005-12-19 06:07:07
Subject: [Networker] Save Set Consolidation - Any Thoughts?
From: "Jones, Stephen (East Kilbride) [OS-IE]" <CHRISTOPHER.JONES AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:55:15 -0800
Hi,

We are considering implementing save set consolidation on some of our larger
backups to reduce the backup window. However, I am concerned about the
additional load that this might place on our tape drives and backup servers
/ storage nodes. Before we implement it I'm keen to gauge the reactions of
other forum members regarding its suitability and performance.

- Does anyone have any experience of using Save Set Consolidation?
- Does it do what it says on the tin?
- Does it cause any problems with tape drives and backup server / storage
node?
- Does it introduce additional admin complexity or is it fairly
straightforward?
- Does it work with database module backups or is it just file system
backups?
- Anything else we should be aware of?

We are thinking of introducing this on systems that backup 1TB+ of data to
LTO2 drives via Solaris backup servers / storage nodes.

Your thoughts would be appreciated....

Many Thanks,
Stephen