Networker

Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance

2005-12-08 14:31:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] ANALYSIS: Networker server price/performance
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:24:50 -0500
Ocsar,

Does your Operton box have 2 gigabit NICS?   Can linux and the box
drive 2 of them  close to the max?  Your utilitization implies that
it can.  Very interesting.  Can the PCI bus and backplane on this
box handle more traffic.

I just went through this with SUN.  Solaris 8 is bottlnecked at 1Gps
period due the streams queue.  Upgrading to Solaris 9 and using a V880,
I can get  get about 700-800Mbps out of each NIC while they run together.
Finally with Solaris 9, we get past the 1Gbps barrier.

Of course the CPU utilization when driving the 1 or 2 NICs at full speed
is quite high.  I can see how the V440 reaches a limit here.

Please post more Linux numbers for us.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 02:41:40 +0100, Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE> wrote:

>OK, after our first week with the new storage node, I thought I'd share
>some simple estimations of price/performance when it comes to the AMD
>Opteron, running Linux vs. the Sparc platform, running solaris.
>
>As you may be aware of, I have posted quite a few posts about NIC and
>server performance regarding the Sun V440 server, and the Cassini NIC. My
>conclusion was then that a V440 can push about 1gb/s of data from the
>network to the drives, before all four CPUs get maxed out.
>
>Our new 2CPU AMD opteron server can push 1gb data over the network with
>approx 50-60% CPU idle time, including I/O wait, system CPU, interrupts
>etc. I'm talking about actual production backup traffic flowing through
>networker here, not some silly benchmark test.
>
>The cost of a 4CPU V440 server is approx $25000. The cost of a HP DL385
>server with two opteron CPUs is about $6500. So, since the opteron can
>push twice as much data, the math looks like this: (25000*2)/6500=~7,69 .
>
>So, my conclusion is that you get about 8x performance for every invested
>dollar/euro/krona etc if you buy AMD based servers instead of sparc based
>ones. That's a significant price/performance ratio difference, worthy of
>most upper management people's attention.
>
>Ofcpurse, the Linux kernel/drivers could also have been a contributing
>factor, and that the OSes are not directly comparable. But I still see an
>obvious fact.. No wonder Sun is trying to market their AMD servers so
>hard! :)
>
>And why am I writing this? Partly because I wanted to follow up on my
>inetests to know what actual non-biased relevant performance figures may
>look like in the real world for the application they're probably running.
>
>//Oscar
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems