Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with ending a savegroup

2005-08-11 10:11:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with ending a savegroup
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:11:14 -0400
On Aug 11, 2005, at 9:56 AM, Macina, Conrad wrote:

All that would do is prevent Windows boxes from hanging Unix systems.
The Windows boxes would still hang each other, and the occasional Unix
failure would still hang the group.

The problem is very inconsistent. A client will cause a savegroup to
hang one day that hadn't done that the previous day and won't do it the
next. When a client hangs a savegroup consistently, we can track it
down. And when we can't we do exactly what you suggest, with a special
savegroup.

Yes, patching and client reboots do sometimes help the situation. There
doesn't appear to be any correlation with filesystem size or number of
files. In most cases there is no data passing across the link.

By the way, just in case anyone is not aware of it, you can easily see what an individual client's backup is doing (if anything) by enabling the hidden verbose savegroup option, then "tail -f" its resulting file in the /nsr/tmp for those who run their NetWorker server under any flavor of Unix. I don't know if Windows has a "tail" utility, but I suppose some enterprising person might have written one as a shareware or freeware item. A quick way to determine if a given client is hung is to look at last time that its temp file in /nsr/tmp was updated, although it may
just be busy backing up a huge file.