Networker

Re: [Networker] Parallelism???

2005-06-23 20:06:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Parallelism???
From: Eric Wagar <eric AT DEADHOOKERS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:04:17 -0700
Albert Eddie wrote:
Ours is set to 16; what stat/where on the server can you watch to see
how fast or slow you can throttle this puppy?

The default was 2, we have 2 drives in a 36 tape library.

I understand the HIGHER THE PARALLELISM the FASTER the backup, I also
understand the higher the parallelism THE SLOWER THE RESTORE!!!!!
The higher the parallelism, the more incoming streams (to the disk or tape devices). And, yes, too many can slow the system down. That's why you always have a high end system! :)

The parallelism on a restore isn't the same. On a restore, there is a possibility that a saveset will span several tape volumes. That being said, all tapes need to be available for the restore. (On an adv_file type device, there can be multiple recovers running.)

Depending on the version of NetWorker will depend on how many parallel save streams you can run. For us, we have the Network edition, so we get 64. With a library with 10 drives, we use all 64 streams on a save. We, like others, can only use one stream on a tape based recover.

eric