Networker

Re: [Networker] media database problem

2005-06-23 17:56:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] media database problem
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:55:09 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] media database problem, Athanasios Douitsis...:

Have you tried using `nsrck', specifically with `-L6'?

Other things you could try include removing that volume (or all of those
volumes) and using `scanner -m' to rebuild the media index from the tape
contents.

Hi,

I suppose I could, but IMHO this is something different from what
I'm trying to do. If I understand correct, doing either
nsrck or scanner -m would build the online index.

scanner -m should repopulate the media database with information about
the volume you scanned, including its name, volid, and what ssids are on
that volume.  It won't rebuild the client file indexes.

nsrck -L6 should do the most automatic consistency checking (and fixing) of
both your media database and client indexes.  Although you don't care
about your client file indexes, you do care about the media database.
It's possible that -L6 could fix the problem you're seeing.

I don't
want to do that, I just want to fetch the entire save set. In fact,
since this is Offsite backup,indexes are not needed as they would get
in the way of normal backups/restores.(correct me if I am wrong)

When I use something like

recover -S 3103859202

the indexes shouldn't be consulted at all, no?

It must consult the media database to do this.  The client file indexes
would not be consulted.

The problem appears to be in your media database.  Both scanner -m and
nsrck -L6 could possibly make changes to your media database.  One or
both of those might be able to fix the problem.

Thats why
I suspect some sort of media database problem. When I issue
the above command the freaking thing doesn't even bother
to ask me to place some volume in the tape drive.
In fact
even if I have Offsite.001 in the drive, it says that it couldn't
verify the volid of Offsite.003(!!!).

It doesn't need to.  You're asking for a ssid, and it knows that it needs
four volumes for that ssid, but it immediately discovers that it doesn't
know anything about one of the volids, and issues the error.

Any suggestions?

Yes:

        nsrck -L6

and if that doesn't resolve the issue, delete Offsite.003 from your
database and run

        scanner -m

on it.  ;-)

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu