Networker

[Networker] AW: [Networker] mt status command aborting a running backup

2005-02-04 05:12:44
Subject: [Networker] AW: [Networker] mt status command aborting a running backup
From: Grohal Klaus <klaus.grohal AT SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:08:49 +0100
Yes we did :-((
If you do an "mt" you actually do an "open" on a device . In always the most
cases this will invoce a "reset" on the device and, if there is a tape in, a
"rewind" to "BOT" during a running operation will occure.
This means in most all cases DATA LOSS !!
Your're lucky, because NetWorker recognized this interrupt and reported an
error. Most of the time the running application won't notice that there was a
reset and will overwrite data on tape from the beginning.

Our own experience has taught us, that there are a lot of possibilities which
can cause an impact on a tape, used by NetWorker:
*       reboots
*       a running RMS under Windows,
*       under Linux (SuSE) Kernels earlier 2.4.19, due to an inappropriate
timeout value, the tape driver is quite likely to invoke a bus reset due to a
SCSI command timeout. The bug is located in libscsi.so
*       products like: ServerView, scsidev, SUN Management Center, Web System
Administration, CST Agent Package SUNWcst.
*       HBA firmware and drivers wich are not up to date

This are only examples which came across in our backup enviroment. Have a look
for the term "reset on san" in the WWW.

regards
Klaus