Networker

[Networker] Browse period and very long backup "cycles"

2004-03-31 20:17:51
Subject: [Networker] Browse period and very long backup "cycles"
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:17:43 -0800
I've been talking to someone that has lots of data that is pretty
static.  It gets added to occasionally, but it doesn't change or get
deleted.  They don't want to be doing lots and lots of fulls, backing up
the same data over and over again.  He basically wants to archive all
the data to tape once (very little money for tapes, only one tape
drive), but leave it on the filesystem.

I've never run a system like this, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried
to do this with something like a yearly full, with daily incrementals on
a big filesystem.  That way all new data would be backed up, but only
once a year.

If I set the browse period on this system to something short (say a
few weeks), and I've only got one "cycle" on tape, I'm not certain
what Networker will do.  I imagine it will either..

1. Allow the last cycle to be browsed (keeping a year's worth of file
   indexing)
2. Allow only data saved since the browse period to be browsed
3. Once the initial full is past the browse period, none of the
   filesystem can be browsed.

Any comments on this?  Is this a stupid idea for some reason I'm not
thinking of?  Right now they're doing the equivalent of this, but it's
with scripts that I'm afraid are fragile.

Thanks!