Networker

[Networker] new library choices

2004-03-31 21:53:50
Subject: [Networker] new library choices
From: Charles Weber <weberc AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:53:59 -0500
It's time for me to buy a new library primarily for off site and clones.
I started in the 60 slot LTO2 range 2 months ago, but a recent instrument
acquisition forced me to to double my required size.

I'm looking at
StorageTek L180 with LTO2
Qualstar 5466 with SAIT (66 SAIT slots)
Adic Scalar 100 (too small)
            1000 (Physically size might be an issue)
Overland Neo

Any comments are welcome.

With SAIT I get very good slot to size ratio, since it is a 500GB native tape.
But SAIT is newer and much less used than LTO2.
The size I need with LTO2 will require at least 120 slots, a larger physical
area
and a new legato library license.

ADIC and StorageTek have received nice mentions on the legato list. I have seen
a number
of people happily using the L180 on the list.
Ditto for Spectralogic and Qualstar, but perhaps not as many mentions.
Spectralogic
just introduced their SAIT LIbrary I believe.

Thanks,
Chuck