Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help using save command to back up multiple files

2003-11-24 13:30:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help using save command to back up multiple files
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:29:30 -0800
On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 10:20 AM, George Sinclair wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to use the save command to back up
multiple
pathnames wherein each pathname will be subsequently individually
listed
under saveset recover as opposed to simply the most common pathname
prefix.

Hi there!

A saveset is a group of files backed up in a single save session.  As
far as I know, you cannot create multiple savesets with a single
invocation of save, and even if you did all of the "expensive"
operations (e.g. open a new index session, new media db session, etc.)
would all still have to take place.

You need to run save for each item in order to get a new saveset id
that can then be used with saveset recover.

The pool I am using has indexing turned off, so there's no need for me
to use the '-S' option. I do not care about browsing these. I have come
to the conclusion that when backing up 2 or more pathnames, it will be
necessary to run each one separately, or if running from a script, then
simply loop through the save command for each desired pathname. This is
more time consuming because it will not be multiplexing, but at least
it
works. Alternatively, I guess each save could be launched as a separate
process. This is frustrating because the nsrclone command seems to
support separate pathnames without lumping everything under one common
path.

If you run all the save commands at once the separate streams will
multiplex.

Byron