Networker

[Networker] Need help using save command to back up multiple files

2003-11-24 13:20:51
Subject: [Networker] Need help using save command to back up multiple files
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:20:45 -0500
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to use the save command to back up multiple
pathnames wherein each pathname will be subsequently individually listed
under saveset recover as opposed to simply the most common pathname
prefix. I have to be able to run this from a script launched out of cron
on the affected client, so I can't just set up a client instance under
the nwadmin gui window for the savesets. Also, the savesets change
weekly, anyway, and the script will have to figure out which files are
new and then back them up.

For example, if I'm backing up just one file, I know I can use something
like:

/usr/bin/save -s server -b pool -l full /path/fname1

and everything works just dandy, but if I try to list multiple ones
like:

/usr/bin/save -s server -b pool -l full /path/fname1 /path/fname2 ...

Then NetWorker will back them up and list them as separate path names,
BUT
it will report that the save has occurred on /path/ and not the actual
pathnames themselves! Checking the saveset recover window will reveal
that /path/ has been backed up, and it's size will be the sum of the
sizes of the individual paths, but the paths will NOT be reported in the
saveset recover window. This is bad because something like /path/
doesn't tell me anything. I want to see the actual pathnames themselves.

Here's an example of this. In this example, each of the two log files is
8 KB:

# /usr/bin/save -s server -b pool -l full
/raid/home/user/Backups/file.11.16.03.dmp.log
/raid/home/user/Backups/file.11.20.03.dmp.log

/raid/home/user/Backups/file.11.20.03.dmp.log
/raid/home/user/Backups/file.11.16.03.dmp.log

save: /raid/home/user/Backups/ level=full, 17 KB 00:01:39      2 files

If I try to list each pathname in an input_file (one per line) and then
run the save as:

/usr/bin/save -s server -b pool -l full input_file

then the exact same thing happens.

I have also tried the -B and -N options. Same problem, and  using the
'-N' option seems to only allow one '-N' and not more than one. So, it's
no good to me.

The pool I am using has indexing turned off, so there's no need for me
to use the '-S' option. I do not care about browsing these. I have come
to the conclusion that when backing up 2 or more pathnames, it will be
necessary to run each one separately, or if running from a script, then
simply loop through the save command for each desired pathname. This is
more time consuming because it will not be multiplexing, but at least it
works. Alternatively, I guess each save could be launched as a separate
process. This is frustrating because the nsrclone command seems to
support separate pathnames without lumping everything under one common
path.

We're running 6.1.1 on Solaris 2.8. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

George
george.sinclair AT noaa DOT gov