Networker

[Networker] RESOLUTION Fw: [Networker] NW 7.1: "can't fetch old save set" errors after upgrading from 6.1.3

2003-11-04 14:01:38
Subject: [Networker] RESOLUTION Fw: [Networker] NW 7.1: "can't fetch old save set" errors after upgrading from 6.1.3
From: Phillip Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:01:32 -0600
Ok, learned something today about upgrading from 6.1.x to 7.1.

Fragments in the media database (i.e., orphaned savesets, such as
incrementals that don't have any existing full to refer back to) were left
alone in 6.x.  With 7.x, however, these can create  stumbling blocks for
nsrmmdbd, such as loading/re-labelling a tape during a "recycle" operation.

What apparently is an un-documented (or, according to Legato anyway, a
"poorly documented") feature in 7.1 is the ability to run

nsrck -m

in order to run a more in-depth analysis and consistency check of the media
database.   This appears to have fixed my problem, and my Legato TSE says
he's going to create an entry in the Knowledgebase documenting this
command.

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.
----- Forwarded by Phillip Young/Dallas/US/i2Tech on 11/03/2003 08:43 PM
-----

             Phillip Young
             <phillip_young@I2
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by: Legato           NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTMA                                     Subject
             IL.TEMPLE.EDU>            [Networker] NW 7.1: "can't fetch
                                       old save set" errors after
                                       upgrading from 6.1.3
             11/02/2003 01:26
             PM

             Please respond to
             Legato NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTMA
              IL.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
               Phillip Young
             <phillip_young@I2
                   .COM>

Solaris 8
NetWorker 7.1

Yesterday I updated NetWorker from 6.1.3 on my backup server to 7.1.  I
first made sure the mmdb and indexes were all intact and in good shape,
and then shut NetWorker down to facilitate a tarball backup.

Then I pkgrm'ed the 6.1.3 distribution and added the 7.1, using the
existing /nsr data.

Now, however, I'm finding that none of the recyclable tapes inside my
jukebox (Sun L180) are being loaded and relabelled.  When I do this
manually with

     nsrjb -Lv -b<pool> ABC123

I get an error, "nsrmmdbd:  can't fetch old save set"

and then the labelling continues.  After this, the tapes are loaded and
writing resumes.

I'm reluctant to think my mmdb was corrupted since nsrim -X reported no
errors before (or after) the upgrade.

Comments?  Suggestions?