Networker

Re: [Networker] Debian and NetWorker

2003-11-04 14:50:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Debian and NetWorker
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:50:51 -0500
Yes, we absolutely do run the client from Debian.   (I don't know about
the server -- never had the nerve to try that!)   With RedHat now
forking
its offerings to fedora.redhat.com and RedHat enterprise Linux, and with
SUSE being bought by Novell ..... we're in a bit of a quandry.

If I remember correctly, what we did first was to run "alien" on the
rpms to make the debian packages.   Then, installed the Debian
packages.   (I think there's an rpm2cpio package that might work as
well.

I made a few changes to the startup script for use with debian.   The
whole "status" thing is obviously only useful when we started networker.
If it dies, the pid file will still be around.
                                                       mht
==============================/etc/init.d/networker============
#!/bin/sh
#
# Copyright (c) 2000 by Feral Software
# All rights Reserved
#
# chkconfig: 345 91 35
#               networker clients for RedHat based Linux machines.
#
# networker     This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#               networker clients for RedHat based Linux machines.
#
# note that this will have to change if a server (nsrd) is added.
#
# modified from original by mht for use with Debian system.
# --- these are Red Hat -- don't use --Source function library.
#. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
#
# Source networking configuration.
#. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Check that networking is up.
#[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0
#
# --- these are redhat -- end

PIDFILE=/var/run/networker.pid

NSRDIR=/usr/sbin
NAME=nsrexecd
DAEMON=$NSRDIR/$NAME
ARGS="-s tapes"
[ -f ${DAEMON} ] || exit 0

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        # Start daemons.
                          echo -n "Starting networker: "
                                  start-stop-daemon --start --quiet
--pidfile $PIDFILE -m --exec ${DAEMON}
                                  ;;
  stop)
        # Stop daemons.
        echo -n "Shutting down networker: "
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --name $NAME --oknodo --exec
${DAEMON}
        rm -f $PIDFILE
        echo
        ;;
  status)
        # look for PID file
        if [ -f $PIDFILE ]; then
                echo  "<$NAME> appears to be running"
        else
                echo  "<$NAME> does NOT appear to be running"

                                           fi
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: networker {start|stop|status}"
        exit 1
esac