Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow Netware Backups

2003-10-21 02:41:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow Netware Backups
From: "Tarjei T. Jensen" <tarjei.jensen AT KVAERNER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:39:51 -0400
Robert Maiello wrote:
>That said, even with that, we were only able to achive 5MB-8MB/sec; with
>a Gigabit card (apparently an older one as was pointed out in this thread).

That sounds like reasonable performance for for the current NetWare client.
We did a test once with the dummy backup program a couple of years ago and
that was the performance we got between two netware servers (run on one
server to back up the other one).

Whether we can get more performance is a problem suitable for the
mathematically inclined. I suspect that the only way to increase
performance would be to find a way to increase the tcp window for the
networker client. I would be inclined to ask Novell if they could do some
fancy footwork when the networker client opens a socket.

BTW: We found that client side compression on NetWare volumes with
compression enabled did not work very well.

greetings,