Networker

[Networker] Slow Netware Backups

2003-10-17 14:26:47
Subject: [Networker] Slow Netware Backups
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPAMINTU AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:24:58 -0600
Hello All,
Is it on the design of Legato Networker that a backup of Netware server
using 'All' produces only 1 stream and very slow (800 KB/s to 1 MB/s)?
We have tried everything from NIC card settings to NetWare NLMs and the
latest NetWare client pack from Legato and still we cannot get a decent
throughput.
Finally, we tried the hard way, split the client's savesets, instead of
'All', we specified each directory under Vol1 which creates a total of
31 savesets.
With a client parallelism of 10, this gave us a throughput of 3 - 4
MB/s, on 2 DLT 7000 tape drives, but when we bump the parallelism to 15
so that we can use another tape drive, we have lots of 'connection time
out' and 'connection refused' errors.
Using this method requires diligence, because there might be a new
directory and forgot to advise the NW admin about it and won't be
included in the backups.

Any other possible solution/idea is greatly appreciated.

Environment: NW for AIX v6.1.3 (AIX O/S 4.3.3)
Client: NetWare v4.21 (NetWare v6)

thanks,

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Dep.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintu AT regina DOT ca