Networker

Re: [Networker] Help with Oracle NMO and Directed Restore

2003-09-29 12:36:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Help with Oracle NMO and Directed Restore
From: James Edwards <jedwards AT SOS.STATE.TX DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:33:42 -0500
Restoring the database thru RMAN using a remote tape device can be a little
tricky.  Restoring an entire database from scratch is actually pretty easy
if you are on the same box restoring the same database but when you start
remoting everything and changing things, it gets weird real quick.  A whole
lot of what you can restore with RMAN depends on how you backed it up.  I
know that sounds like an obvious statement but when you start talking about
RMAN database backups, there are so many options for backing up control
files, archive logs, etc that it's real easy to make a mistake.  Basically,
you don't need anything except the configuration file and the catalog
database on the remote system to do a restore if you took the right kind of
backup.

Here's an idea.  If you have the disk space, change the backup type from
tape to disk.  Don't change anything else, just take a disk backup using
RMAN.  Then you can move the backup files around wherever you like and test
the restore, a lot easier than connecting to a remote tape device.  This
won't test the physical tape media but it will test to make sure you can
bring the database up at a remote location as the backup is correctly
configured.

Another extremely important part of RMAN backups is the catalog database.
You need it to do the restore except under certain circumstances.

There are lots of examples on metalink.oracle.com but you have to have
Oracle support to get in (I think).

Hope this helps.

Jim Edwards