Networker

Re: [Networker] Help with Oracle NMO and Directed Restore

2003-09-29 10:57:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Help with Oracle NMO and Directed Restore
From: James Edwards <jedwards AT SOS.STATE.TX DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:54:56 -0500
You seem to be confusing a few things.  First off a few words of
explanation.

If you are using RMAN, Legato is nothing more than a media manager, a way
for RMAN to write to your jukebox.  So, that being said, everything you do
you do thru RMAN and just configure things so it can see the tapes.  You
don't use Legato directed recover, you use RMAN.  RMAN is a very powerful
tool but it is also very confusing at times and using it with Legato
confuses things even more.

That being said, depending on what you want to do, there might be a better
way to skin this cat.  Naturally, if you are testing disaster recovery using
these tapes, you don't have much choice but if you just want to get the
database on the other machine, there are lots better ways to do it.  Give us
a little more info on what you want to do and why and I'll see if I can
help.

Jim Edwards