Networker

Re: [Networker] If you use AIT-2 media in AIT-3 drives....

2003-09-10 15:27:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] If you use AIT-2 media in AIT-3 drives....
From: Craig Ruefenacht <Craig.Ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:25:27 -0600
Ed,

We use software compression and are writing about 108 Gbyte per tape (oracle
tablespace files).  The 50 Gbyte capacity I quoted in my original email
message is correct - that's 50 Gbyte of compressed data going to tape.  If
you uncompress that 50 Gbyte of data, you end up with more.  I haven't
delved into what it would take to do hardware compression instead of
software compression (our jukebox says that our AIT-3 drives won't do
hardware compression, so whether its a license or a dip switch setting or
something else).

>From my experience, Networker's report on how much data is on the tape is
how many bytes were pushed to the tape.  If I have 200 Gbyte of data and
send it as is to a tape, Networker will say the tape contains 200 Gig of
data.  If I take the same 200 Gbyte of data and compress it down to, say,
100 Gbyte and then send the compressed data to the tape, Networker will say
the tape contains 100 Gig of data.

I'd like to know what the dip switches are, though.  Send me the PDF at your
leisure.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator