Networker

Re: [Networker] If you use AIT-2 media in AIT-3 drives....

2003-09-10 18:32:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] If you use AIT-2 media in AIT-3 drives....
From: Craig Ruefenacht <Craig.Ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:30:51 -0600
        > I'm interested in this too, since I've got a similar situation.
        > (Qualstar Library / Linux / Networker 7.0)   AIT-2 media performs
        > erratically in the AIT-3 and seems to vary with the tape.

Matthew,

The symptom of our problem sounds like what you are experiencing.  The
amount of data written to our AIT-2 tapes varied widely, and there didn't
appear to be any specific pattern.  Sometimes a tape would be marked full
after, say, 25 Gbyte of data, and when the same tape was recycled and used
again, it would be marked full after, say, 40 Gbyte, and so on.  It was a
mystery as to why the capacity of our tapes weren't higher, and why tape
capacity wasn't at least consistent.

Here is a snapshot of the amount of data that some of our tapes were able to
hold during two tape rotation cycles:

                        Rotation Cycle #1                       Rotation
Cycle #2
Tape            Data written (Gbyte)                    Data written (Gbyte)
--------------
C75733          18                                              0.47
C75734          30                                              33
C75735          9.07                                    31
C75736          27                                              46
C75737          19                                              16
C75738          16                                              12
C75739          20                                              18
C75740          1.69                                    34
C75741          45                                              39
C75742          42                                              40
C75743          24                                              25
C75744          26                                              45
C75745          26                                              29

The next 4 tape rotation cycles for the above tapes were just as sporadic as
shown above.

After upgrading our firmware on our AIT-3 tape drives, we got 49 Gbyte of
data (compressed, about 105 Gbyte uncompressed) on each of the above tapes.

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator