Networker

Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?

2003-05-07 08:46:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:46:23 -0400
On Thu, 1 May 2003 09:15:29 -0400, Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
wrote:

>If it is the tmp file bug then it is not fixed in 6.1.3, or any version
>currently released. I think a proper fix is coming in a future version. The
>6.1.3 and 6.1.2 fixed bugs list say it is fixed now, but this is a lie.

I'm pleased to say that I need to correct myself here. This bug is finally
fixed in NetWorker 7.0. LGTpa49608 fixes this by rewriting the way that the
file locking takes place. The engineer responsible for this is one of
Legato's most experienced so finally it's been done right.

I have tried it in Linux and Win2K and it seems to work OK. However don't
take my word for it, try it yourself on your platform of choice. The acid
test is to kill (-9?) the pstclntsave process on the client during a
savepnpc backup (thus leaving the <GROUP>.tmp file in place), then see
whether the pre and post processing works the next time.