Networker

Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?

2003-05-01 10:08:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] How reliable our your windows backups?
From: "Fowler, Carter" <CFowler AT CITY.LONDON.ON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:08:07 -0400
>Is this the old chestnut about a rogue <GROUP>.tmp file in ...\nsr\tmp?
If
>so, this is a very well known bug that has been in savepnpc ever since
5.1
>when it was written. It was originally LGTpa06002, but has also been
logged
>since under other numbers. You will find lots about this bug in the
>archives of this list.

That's what I thought too, but we do a full service shutdown on the
server and all database clients, clean the TMP dir on server / clients
then bring the services back up and run the job.  Still fails.  At this
point, it appears to be a savepnpc issue (pstclntsave appears to do
nothing).

>If it is the tmp file bug then it is not fixed in 6.1.3, or any version
>currently released. I think a proper fix is coming in a future version.
The
>6.1.3 and 6.1.2 fixed bugs list say it is fixed now, but this is a lie.

Thanks for the tip!  I was not aware of this, this is quite valuable
information!  I suppose scheudling a job to perform a thorough cleaning
prior to each run is now a most prudent idea.

Thanks a lot Davina, we appreciate the advice.

Cheers,

Carter Fowler
Hardware Service Technician
Technology Services Division