Networker

Re: [Networker] Save Set Recover

2003-03-18 10:38:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Save Set Recover
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:38:49 -0500
Does it really matter what the browse time is as long as you have the
tape? I would suggest placing the files in a suitably named directory
that would be meaningful for perpetuity and then back up that directory.
Maybe you could lighten the burden by creating several such named
directories. We have a lot of static data around here, and we break up
large chunks by creating directories with year names, for example. You
could then create a recursive directory listing (/bin/ls -lR dir) of
each and back these up as well. If you forget what files are in which
path, you could always recover the directory listings which would be
small.

When we do these one-time backups, we write them to a special pool that
is not subject to recycling and we normaly do not update the client's
online index. The saveset will always be recoverable via saveset recover
as long as we still have the tape. Even if someone removed the volume
entry, we could always scan the tape. A suitably named directory path
will tell us what was in that directory. Of course, if you must have
complete browse capablity down to the file level for those files, then
yeah, I guess you would be talking about extending the browse policy to
a rather lengthy period. I just don't see that it's necessary to go that
route, though, particularly given the fact that there might be a lot of
other stuff on the affected client that you don't care to keep in the
index that long.

Does anyone know if different instances of the same client can have
different browse policies? Or, does the same policy apply to all the
same instances. What about retention policy?

George