Networker

Re: [Networker] Excessive time to reposition an LTO tape for writting

2003-03-04 11:10:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Excessive time to reposition an LTO tape for writting
From: Jon Hickmott <jonny AT UWO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:06:56 -0500
Thierry, Thanks for the ideas, see below for my questions on your response.

Thierry Faucille wrote:

> The 24 Feb 2003 a 06:42:34 PM, Davina Treiber wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:20:18 -0500, Jon Hickmott <jonny AT UWO DOT CA>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Our Environment
> > >
> > >   * Sun E450 running solaris 8 and legato 6.1.1
> > >   * Fiber attached StorageTek L700 with 4 IBM LTO tape drives
> > >
> > >Problem situation
> > >
> > >   * running a saveset clone
> > >   * clone pool has close to full tapes marked as '100%' but not 'Full'
> > >     (>100GB on then already (full seems to be ~140GB))
> > >   * The system mounts one of these close to full clone tapes to append
> > >     to it
> > >   * It sits there saying "Moving forward xxx files" for 45 minutes or
> > >     more
> > >   * In the mean time (about 30 minutes in) the clone process or mount
> > >     process times out and restarts
> > >   * A 2nd tape for the clone pool is mounted (if it is close to full
> > >     the process begins again)
> > >   * The clone completes on the 2nd mounted tape (or 3rd sometimes)
> > >   * The other close to full tapes that were mounted end up in a "ready
> > >     of writing, idle" state after 45 minutes or so and we can not get
> > >     them back without restarting networker.
> > >
> > >Does anyone know why it is taking so long to reposition a tape? Does it
> > >have something to do with the 100% full indication or the pool
> > >type(clone)? I have not seen this problem yet while doing regular
> > >backups - only the clones. Any tips would be great.
>
> Another ideas
>
> 1 Upgrade to 6.1.3
>
> If you can't : on the server (and storage node eventually)
> # touch /nsr/debug/noimmediate
> then stop and restart NetWorker
>
> 3 Verify your LTO conf in the /kernel/drv/st.conf

Can You be specific on what the entries should be in this file for IBM LTO Fibre
attached tape drives. Currently I have the default st.conf file which came from
the patch 108725-11 and it does not even list IBM LTO devices. I believe these
are
compiled into the st driver but I don't know what they are or should be.

> 4 Don't use the IBM Lto Driver for Solaris

Why? Have you had bad experiences with this driver? This is one of the options I
was going to try hoping it would in the least give me the ability to talk to the
drives and retrieve error info directly.

Thanks,
Jon