Networker

Re: [Networker] How are folks handling offsite storage? We were sending clones off site manually, but then the clones won't scratch (recycle) till the primary save set does.

2003-03-04 11:51:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] How are folks handling offsite storage? We were sending clones off site manually, but then the clones won't scratch (recycle) till the primary save set does.
From: "Jackson, Brandon" <bjackson AT CARLSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:48:26 -0600
We have written a set of Perl scripts to manage our off-site rotation - these
scripts essentially mimic the media management functions provided by AlphaStor.
 Generally, we aren't cloning - cloning is too taxing on the system resources,
and very expensive as well, so we're sending our original backup volumes
offsite.  Therefore, we're only cloning archive data and sending the clones
offsite for the duration of the archive period.  We've also observed that
Legato does a much better job of tracking original backup volumes in the mmdb
than it does with clones.  We use mminfo to determine which tapes have been
written to in the last 30 days and are still in the jukebox, and then we use
nsrjb to eject the tapes.  We use mmlocate to update the location field in the
media database, and nsrmm to mark the tapes as full - you don't need to mark
the tapes as suspect - the whole purpose of doing that is so the system won't
try to use them while they're offsite - updating the location field to
something other than the name of the jukebox and marking the tapes full
accomplishes that for you.  That's how we get tapes off-site.

As far as getting the tapes back, our off-site courier has such services
available (we would have to provide them with a return date and such, but that
didn't work out the way that we hoped).  So, we have written scripts to recall
tapes as well.  We use mminfo to determine which tapes are offsite and were
last written to a specified number of days back.  We also search for offsite
tapes that have expired (we use this for the minimal amount of cloning that we
do).  When the tapes come back, we use mminfo to update their location and we
have another script to deposit/inventory/recycle tapes back into the jukeboxes.

You are correct in that the location of the tapes will not automagically update
when you place them in the jukebox.  You need to inventory the jukebox (or the
slots that the tapes are loaded into) in order to tell NetWorker that the tapes
have been placed back in the jukebox.  If you don't like doing a full inventory
of the jukebox (which can be time-intensive, but is good for the system,
especially with larger - 300+ slots -jukeboxes), you can write a script that
detects non-inventoried slots in the jukebox.  Use nsrjb | grep "\-\*" to
figure out which slots need to be inventoried.  However, our staff feels that
using a standard nsrjb -I to run a full-scale inventory of the jukebox is worth
the time when you are moving 15 tapes a day out of each jukebox.  As far as the
problem you described with full inventories and your new tapes, if you label
the tapes when you put them in the jukebox, you will not have that problem.  We
have a policy in place to label new tapes once they are placed in a jukebox -
that way we always know we have a problem if we have an unidentified tape in
the library.  If you have a smaller operation, that might not be such a
problem, but we have to manage 7,000 tapes.

Overall our system has been working very well, and cheap too!  (we didn't have
to spend a hundred grand on AlphaStor, and it has saved our company big
insurance dollars).  If you have any further questions about any of this,
please feel free to email me back.

Brandon Jackson
Carlson Companies, Inc.
Minneapolis, Minnesota