Networker

Re: [Networker] URGENT: can't load tape

2002-09-19 16:48:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] URGENT: can't load tape
From: "Martin J. Dellwo" <dellwo AT 3DP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:48:27 -0400
The storage node is on Win2K, but there is an 'mt' program in c:\Program
 files\nsr\bin, the output of status command is below.  The default
block size is showing as 64k, but on Legato device GUI, it is set for
128k.  I'm not sure how to show the equivalent info for the SGI
server--there's no included Legato 'mt', just the usual Unix command and
it doesn't show this info.  It seems to be set to use variable block
size (Media Blocksize = 0 ??), or at least it can support it; and I am
not sure why the correct block size wouldn't be detected, so I don't
know if this is the real problem or not.

I'm using the local 'nsrjb' to try and load the tape again, the GUI
shows 'Verifying label, moving backward 2 file(s)" next to the device in
the top Devices monitor panel, and "<datestamp>rd=dcsrv05:\\.\\Tape0
Verify label operation in progress" in the Messages panel, and this is
where it hangs forever.

FYI I did 'mt stat' on both drives, one with the problem tape and one
with a tape that works fine, same results for both.
C:\>mt -f \\.\Tape0 stat
\\.\Tape0:
        Media Capacity  = 101.16GByte
        Media Remaining = 103.96GByte
        Media Blocksize = 0
        Media Partition Count = 0
        Media is not write protected
        default blocksize = 65536
        maximum blocksize = 1040384
        minimum blocksize = 4
        MaximumPartitionCount = 0
        Partition = 0
        Logical block position = 1
        EOTWarningZoneSize = 0
        CompressionEnabled
        Features:
                Performs LONG erase operation
                Performs erase from beginning of partition only
                Performs IMMEDIATE erase operation
                Can report maximum tape capacity
                Can report amount of tape remaining
                Support FIXED block length mode
                Support VARIABLE block length mode
                Returns errors on write if tape is write - protected
                Supports hardware data compression
                Can provide current absolute device block address
                Can provide current logical block address and partition
                Can physically load and / or unload tape
                Support PREVENT / ALLOW Media Removal
                Performs IMMEDIATE rewind operations
                Allows Setting FIXED LENGTH or VARIABLE block sizes
                Performs IMMEDIATE Load / Unload operations
                Allows hardware data compression to be enabled / disabled
                Can position tape to an absolute physical block
                Can position tape to a logical block(and partition)
                Can position tape to END of RECORDED DATA
                Can perform tape record positioning(backwards / forwards)
                Can perform tape file positioning(backwards / forwards)
                Can move backwards across records or filemarks or setmarks
                Can write FILEMARKS
                Performs IMMEDIATE tape mark write operations

phanzlik AT coma DOT cz wrote:

What make test on SCSI bus ?. In directory /etc/LGTOuscsi you search the
basic commands for test devices. Example: tur, inquire...
If you verify size of block, you must load tape to drive and run command
mt, example: mt -f /dev/rmt/0cb status. I don ´t know what devices you have
make there, therefore I show it like /dev/rmt/0cbn. You will show correctly
adrress inside networker admin (nwadmin).
Atention, if you set fixed block size you must specify it. Example, insert
NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE for your device to scriptfile networker. Restart it. I
recommended use variable size (=0) - you confirm it with command mt. If you
change size of block now, you cannot restore your data.

--
Martin J. Dellwo   (610) 458-5264 x6512   dellwo AT 3dp DOT com
Systems Administrator, 3-Dimensional Pharmaceuticals, Inc.