Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down

2017-06-08 07:33:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: ian AT zti.co DOT za, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 07:32:10 -0400

On 6/7/2017 3:50 PM, Ian Douglas wrote:
Hi all

Lately I've been getting errors like

   Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down

where I'm trying to back up files from a NAS box (FreeNAS), and the target
folder is mounted on this box, as was recommended to me on this list.

So the folder does not get backed up.

If I run the job manually then it works.

Other succeeding jobs run right after the failed one work okay.

Oddly enough I tried from the command line and results were puzzling:

====================
~ $ ls /home/ian/nas1stuff/
ls: cannot access '/home/ian/nas1stuff/': Host is down
~ $ cd
~ $ cd /home/ian/nas1stuff/
~/nas1stuff $ ls /home/ian/nas1stuff/

and that worked... so why would I get a Host is down message?

The host was only down for the first ls command. I suspect that the FreeNAS box was not busy and went into sleep/suspend power saving mode. When NFS on the Bacula box sent packets to the FreeNAS box as a result of the ls command reading the directory, it caused the FreeNAS box to resume from sleep/suspend. The FreeNAS box took too long to wake up and respond, so NFS assumed 'host is down'.

Another possibility is that DNS resolution on the Bacula box has the incorrect search order, etc. and is causing the NFS timeout.

Another possibility is that you are automounting the NFS share and a too short timeout is specified for the autofs map for that mountpoint.

So now trying to determine where the problem is...

1. Bacula ?
2. FreeNAS ?
3. something on my system doing the SMB stuff ?

Something else?

I don't know if it is related but lately I've noticed a lot of up/down traffic
between this box and the three NAS boxes... even when I'm not actually doing
anything on the NAS boxes. Am just worried it's some malware encrypting my
drives. This box is Linux, the three NAS boxes are FreeNAS (== FreeBSD based).

Any ideas as to where to look to solve the issue gratefully received. Google
was not helpful, unless I searched for the wrong things...

Thanks, Ian