Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down

2017-06-08 06:29:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: ian AT zti.co DOT za
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 11:28:34 +0100

> Hi all
>
> Lately I've been getting errors like
>
>   Could not stat "/mnt/nas1stuff/": ERR=Host is down
>
> where I'm trying to back up files from a NAS box (FreeNAS), and the target
> folder is mounted on this box, as was recommended to me on this list.
>
> So the folder does not get backed up.
>
> If I run the job manually then it works.
>
> Other succeeding jobs run right after the failed one work okay.
>
> Oddly enough I tried from the command line and results were puzzling:
>
> ====================
> ~ $ ls /home/ian/nas1stuff/
> ls: cannot access '/home/ian/nas1stuff/': Host is down
> ~ $ cd
> ~ $ cd /home/ian/nas1stuff/
> ~/nas1stuff $ ls /home/ian/nas1stuff/
>
> and that worked... so why would I get a Host is down message?

It could be too slow rather than down.  Does a second use of "ls
/home/ian/nas1stuff/" succeed, without the "cd /home/ian/nas1stuff/"?

> So now trying to determine where the problem is...
>
> 1. Bacula ?

Unlikely since you can demonstrate it with cd and ls.

> 2. FreeNAS ?
> 3. something on my system doing the SMB stuff ?

Both possible.

Have you checked the syslogs?

> I don't know if it is related but lately I've noticed a lot of up/down
> traffic
> between this box and the three NAS boxes... even when I'm not actually doing
> anything on the NAS boxes. Am just worried it's some malware encrypting my
> drives. This box is Linux, the three NAS boxes are FreeNAS (== FreeBSD based).

You could use tcpdump or Wireshark to see what kind of traffic is being sent.

See also
https://askubuntu.com/questions/910058/updates-broke-cifs-smb-mounts-in-16-04#920279

__Martin