Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restores very slow while selecting files

2017-04-21 04:03:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restores very slow while selecting files
From: Tom Yates <madlists AT teaparty DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:02:35 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017, Tom Yates wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Martin Simmons wrote:
>
>> Does that file tree have a lot of hard links (I think the add command only
>> makes those queries for hard links)?  If so, then using Bacula 7 might help
>> (see "restore optimizespeed" in
>> http://www.bacula.org/downloads/Bacula-7.4.0/ReleaseNotes).
>
> That might well be it.  "find . -type f -links +1" says that, of the ten
> million or so files in that tree, around a million have more than one
> hard link (some have several hundred, don't ask me why).
>
> If the client will permit it, I'll investigate "restore optimizespeed" and
> report back.  Thank you!

So it turns out that going to 7.4.7 was enough.  The FD clients all stayed
on CentOS 6's 5.0.0, and seem to be fine (though testing continues).
"optimizespeed=true" seems to be the default in 7.x; in the first test the
upgrade cut the time for the "add home" phase from twenty-some HOURS to
about eight SECONDS.  We have made no further changes, though we
gratefully note Kern's list of other improvements we could make if things
start to drag again.

Thanks to all, but especially Martin and Kern, for help with this.
Bacula's back on the menu!

   Tom Yates
   Cambridge, UK.