Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs don't remain on schedule

2017-03-31 16:40:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Jobs don't remain on schedule
From: Craig Shiroma <shiroma.craig.2 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:39:10 -1000
Hi Bill,

Hmmm, I know I didn't touch the fileset(s) and I have IgnoreFilesetChanges set to "yes" on these filesets.  The FileSet date on one of the jobs is "2015-10-10 18:00:12".

Here are some configs for one of the problem jobs:
Pool {
    Name = server_shortname
    Storage = server_shortname
    Pool Type = Backup
    Recycle = yes
    Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
    AutoPrune = no
    Volume Retention = 15 days
    Maximum Volumes = 16
    Volume Use Duration = 23h
    Label Format = "${Client}-${JobId}-vol"
}

Client {
    Name = server_shortname
    Address = server_fqdn
    FD Port = 9102
    Password = "some-password"
    Catalog = MyCatalog
    File Retention = 15 days
    Job Retention =  15 days
    AutoPrune = no
}

Job {
    Name = server_shortname
    Client = server_shortname
    Enabled = yes
    Type = Backup
    Schedule = WeeklyFullOnFriRunFirst
    FileSet = Windows_E_NoCompression_FileSet
    Max Full Interval = 6 days
    Pool = server_shortname
    Messages = Standard
    Write Bootstrap = "/var/spool/bacula/server_shortname.bsr"
    Priority = 10
    Reschedule On Error = yes
    Reschedule Interval = 1 hour
    Reschedule Times = 3
    Cancel Lower Level Duplicates = yes
    Allow Duplicate Jobs = no
    Spool Attributes = yes
    Accurate = yes
}

Thanks for the help!
Craig

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com> wrote:
On 03/31/2017 12:49 PM, Craig Shiroma wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a few jobs that are on the below schedule:
>
> Schedule {
>   Name = "WeeklyFullOnFriRunFirst"
>   Run = Level=Full fri at 17:58
>   Run = Level=Incremental sat-thu at 18:00
> }
>
> The jobs followed the schedule until last night which was a Thursday.  An
> incremental was suppose to run, but a Full was run instead.  Would anyone know
> what could cause this to happen?  Previous full backup did run on a Friday at
> 17:58.
>
> The log for these jobs show similar text shown below:
> bacula-dir JobId 413490:
> bacula-dir JobId 413490: No prior or suitable Full backup found in catalog.
> Doing FULL backup.
> bacula-dir JobId 413490: Start Backup JobId 413490,
> Job=servername.2017-03-30_18.00.06_05
> bacula-dir JobId 413490: Max configured use duration=82,800 sec. exceeded.
> Marking Volume "servername-258519-vol" as Used.
> bacula-dir JobId 413490: Pruning oldest volume "servername-263826-vol"
> bacula-dir JobId 413490: There are no more Jobs associated with Volume
> "servername-263826-vol". Marking it purged.
> bacula-dir JobId 413490: All records pruned from Volume
> "servername-263826-vol"; marking it "Purged"
> bacula-dir JobId 413490: Using Device "servername" to write.
> bacula-sd JobId 413490: Recycled volume "servername-263826-vol" on file device
> "servername" (/backup01/servername/), all previous data lost.
>
> Seems like something is out of sync with the schedule that is causing the Full
> to run on the wrong day.
>
> Best regards,
> Craig

Hi Craig,

I see a couple possibilities here.

The first one might be that there is an issue with your retention period(s)
for the Full backup.  Probably not the case though.

The second, and I think more probable answer is that the fileset has been
edited recently, and when that occurs, Bacula automatically upgrades the job
to Full.

Take a look at the job's summary.  If you have a semi-recent version there
will be a date stamp in the summary next to the fileset.  This date is the
time the Fileset was last edited.

There is a Fileset setting called "IgnoreFilesetChanges = yes"  which can help
mitigate this second case, but there are some warnings to think about when
using this option.

Also, I have a feature request that has been accepted in the Enterprise
version that the reason why a job was upgraded to a Full is listed in the logs
too.   I do not know when this will be ported to the community version though.

Best regards,

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski