Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can't run bacula any more.

2017-03-06 08:42:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can't run bacula any more.
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 14:41:57 +0100
On Sunday 2017-03-05 21:10:58 Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 2017-03-05 at 20:24:15 Josip Deanovic wrote:
> > When in doubt always try to connect manually using the credentials
> > you plan to use from bacula-dir in order to rule out incorrect
> > database or network setup.
> >
> > For example, from the bacula-dir server you can try something like
> >
> > The command above should prompt you for a password and if you are
> > able to connect then there is nothing wrong with the mysql setup.
> > Otherwise you need to setup your mysql database properly first.
> >
> > Regards
>
> Thanks for your advice which I tried both with and without arguments
> and it apparently connected correctly - at least I got a welcome
> message from mariadb. So I guess it is safe to assume that the mysql
> database is properly setup.

I have few more ideas where you could look for the solution.

You might already know this but I am going to mention it anyway.
Mysql makes difference between localhost and 127.0.0.1.
The first one (localhost) instructs the client to connect to the
database through a unix socket while the other one (127.0.0.1) will
expect mysql to bind to 127.0.0.1 IP and some port (default mysql
port is 3306).

Also, from your first post and debugging messages I am not 100%
sure that your bacula supports mysql.

I would use these two steps to check that:
1. ldd <path_to_your_bacula-dir_binary>
   check if you can find something like libmysqlclient in the
   output.

2. Check if your /usr/lib64/libbaccats.so symlink points to the
   correct library (mysql and not postgres). Modern distributions
   are usually using alternatives(8) to manage this.

--
Josip Deanovic