Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar

2016-03-19 18:27:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 08:22:00 +1000

On 03/20/2016 05:41 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 03/19/16 10:56, Josh Fisher wrote:
>> On 3/17/2016 8:48 AM, Alan Brown wrote:
>>> . What's killed all these "smaller"
>>> formats is cheap(ish) HDD/SSDs, cloud storage and the likes of Netflix.
>>> That's despite even BDXL 120GB not being large enough capacity to hold a
>>> complete 4k video title.
>>>

>> RDX is a good choice for "smaller" format, although smaller is relative.
>> The bottom line is that a USB3 RDX drive and 6 2 TB cartridges is about
>> the same cost as a single LTO-6 drive and 4 2.5 TB cartridges. If media
>> needs in the long term will stay below 12 - 16 TB, then RDX is the
>> simpler, and IMO better choice. Above that, LTO-6 wins out due to much
>> lower media cost.
>>
>> For the backup window factor, LTO-6 wins every time. However, RDX
>> performance is on par with LTO-4, so for many, if not most, small
>> businesses, it meets their needs.
>
> I'm still surprised that cloud storage is even considered by anyone but
> single users with a single PC.  And even there I'm surprised it's viable
> given how poor most US "broadband" service is.

Hello Phil,

I agree with your statement above. However, there is a big demand for
Cloud backup, so one of my next projects will be to add S3 support to
Bacula.  A certain number of large enterprises are adding local private
cloud installations where bandwidth is not an issue, so even for large
enterprises, having an S3 option is becoming an important issue.

Best regards,
Kern