Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar

2016-03-14 08:00:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy disk to tape is 4x slower than tar
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:54:17 +0100
Dan Langille wrote (2016/03/13):
> > As well as increasing max file size you need to boost the tape buffer size
> > from the 64kB default. I use 2MB
>
> This is a hardware setting?

Hello, it is software settings:

* Increasing max file size is "Maximum File Size". I use 16 GB for
  LTO-5 and for LTO-4 it should be similar. Every file mark means delay
  of several seconds (3-5?), so you can count, how big slow down for
  each file size it is in percents. On the other side, too big file size
  means slower seeks.

* Tape buffer size: It is "Maximum Block Size". It seems that in Linux
  it is a must to increase it. However, in FreeBSD, I have no problems
  with default 65536 bytes, where I have seen speeds over 250 MB/s with
  well compressable datas and without notable system load, so I did not
  increase it yet. For check, how big block you can use, try mt status -v.
  It is smaller of maxio and cpi_maxio. Without kernel patching, you could
  certainly use 131072 bytes. However, maxio could be increased easily
  (MAXPHYS kernel option) and cpi_maxio depends on driver, how well the
  value is obtained. Sometimes it is just a constant, which is known that
  it could be increased. But, I still think that it is not needed so much
  in FreeBSD.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology