Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO Cartridge Memory Specification?

2015-10-22 05:50:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO Cartridge Memory Specification?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:49:37 +0200
Dear Rudolf,

In message <20151022092859.GA85460 AT fit.vutbr DOT cz> you wrote:

> > My LTO library can read and display this data; most of it is
> > self-esplaining, except for a data field "TAF" which probably
> > contains error or wear information - for most tapes this is empty,
> > but for a few (old, long used) ones I see entries like "3, 4, 6" or
> > "3, 4, 6, 20".  I would like to understand what these mean?
> >
> > Can anybody shed any light on this?  Thanks in advance.
>
>   I think that it is a number of Tape Alert Flags raised during
> tape lifetime.

Thanks a lot.

OK, so "TAF" means Tape Alert Flag - makes sense.

Do you also happen to know what these numbers mean?  As mentioned, I
have a few tapes which show "3, 4, 6", and one which shows "3, 4, 6, 20".

I guess these numbers have some meaning?

Of course I can just act on a base "any entrey means tape is bad", but
I would feel better if I were able to understand what went wrong.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.