Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Support for HAVE_POSIX_FADVISE on Bacula Client

2015-10-08 18:00:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Support for HAVE_POSIX_FADVISE on Bacula Client
From: Robert Heinzmann <r.heinzmann AT freelancer.traviangames DOT com>
To: Eric Bollengier <eric.bollengier AT baculasystems DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 11:54:07 +0000
Hi,

> I think you did a really nice investigation work :-)
Thanks ... was fun :)

> I think that your patch is almost right, and we need to figure if we want to
> add specific directives for that. I tend to believe right now that with or
> without the POSIX call, the os will cache the file, and it sounds better to
> do it in advance, let see what other people are thinking about your idea.

the point is, does it cache the file and evict the cache after the backup of
the file (what is with posix call)

Example WITH fix:
----------------------

  Server: 8 GB unused memory
  Running Application (aka workload) = 4 of working set and cached files
  Bacula backing up 800 x 100 MB FILE (8 GB in total)

=> After backup

Running Application:
  If bacula backs up the working set data: 0 GB cached
  If bacula backs up other sets of data: 4 GB cached (e.g. a Snapshot of the
dataset which also has new filehandles) <=== Our case !!!!
Bacula 100MB of cached (and never reused) data

OR

does bacula polute the whole file system cache

Example WITHOUT fix:
-----------------------------

  Server: 8 GB unused memory
  Running Application (aka workload) = 4 of working set and cached files
  Bacula backing up 800 x 100 MB FILE (8 GB in total)

=> After backup

Running Application: 0 GB cached
Bacula 8 GB of cached (and never reused) data

Regards,
Robert

Robert Heinzmann
r.heinzmann AT freelancer.traviangames DOT com
IT-Operations
Travian Games GmbH