Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Out of virtual tapes

2015-08-26 17:02:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Out of virtual tapes
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 22:58:17 +0200
Hello,

> Most, if not all of the visualization hypervisors support virtual machine
> snapshot. This functionality do not require a special storage with
> snapshots. I know for sure about VMware and KVM.

AFAIK KVM does "internal" snapshots that live inside the same qcow2
file, no backup. Storage-level snapshot is a separate file that can be
backed up. So it's really a question of what do you want it for.

KVM can do an external snapshots and I'm developing a KVM plugin which uses this functionality for backup. The current development stalled because I'm on vacation right now.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net