Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Out of virtual tapes

2015-08-25 16:26:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Out of virtual tapes
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:21:25 +0200
Hello,

I'm not a native English speaker, so please forgive me that I do not understand all your conversation. I do my best.

On 08/24/2015 10:12 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

>> Also, the most cases I had seen that needs a
>> Virtual machine disk image restore are:

>> 2) updates and/or upgrades in the virtual machine configuration do not
>> work: in this case we need a backup immediately before the changes were
>> made. In this case we can take care of always having a full backup before
>> doing any software changes in the virtual machine.
>>

> I do not understand what you mean. Sorry.

What he means is he needs is storage that supports snapshots.

I thought that Ana Emília M. Arruda is she.

Shut off
the vm, take a snapshot, fire it up and do the updates.

Most, if not all of the visualization hypervisors support virtual machine snapshot. This functionality do not require a special storage with snapshots. I know for sure about VMware and KVM.

If it all
worked, you can delete the snapshot. Or leave it be until the next time.

Well, I think I start to understand what you and Ana wants to say. Yes, you are right Dimitri. In this case she needs snapshots, not a backup tool. Backup tool is required for unplanned downtime and data loss. Any planned downtime should be carefully prepared, especially for planned software upgrades in virtual machines. Snapshots are the best tools for that.

Bacula isn't really the right tool for this.

Exactly. It is a better, faster, easier, just name it, to revert a vm snapshot after upgrade then to restore all required virtual machine disk images data.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net