Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula backup incremental files

2015-05-19 19:04:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula backup incremental files
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 18:02:49 -0500
On 05/19/2015 08:11 AM, Taz_Tasmania wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have run bacula v5.2.6.
> My problem is, that i have a big file (25GB) and each day becomes
> the file to end a piece longer. Does the possibility exist that bacula only
protects the modifications in the file?
> At the time backup bacula by incremental the completely 25GB file.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: I have a similar situation but in my case the file is
useless until it's complete. I run a script on the client that generates
a list of files to back up. It works but bacula loses all ownership and
permissions on the intermediate directories in the process.

If your partially written file is actually usable, add it to e.g. git,
run git commit in the client pre-script, and then backup the .git
directory instead of the file. That should do the trick.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin