Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Amazon S3 off-site Backups

2015-05-16 21:23:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Amazon S3 off-site Backups
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: Davide Giunchi <davide.giunchi AT soasi DOT com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 22:22:17 -0300
Hello David,

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Davide Giunchi <davide.giunchi AT soasi DOT com> wrote:
>>> Lot's of people asks how it's possible to store Bacula backups on Amazon
>>> S3 for off-site backups and there is a feature request open. If you
>>> really want to do that I can imagine / tried 2 options:
>>>
>>> 1. Mount S3 bucket locally with Fuse and local storage archive device
>>> writing on the mount point, but with poor performance. There are several
>>> guides on the Internet.

Have you really tested it?
Because, in my test and for what i've read, bacula-sd doesn't work on a fuse mountpoint.

>>> 2. Hire a EC2 linux box (Amazon VPS Service) to run a Bacula storage
>>> daemon for maximum performance storing on S3, like you are supposed to
>>> set up a regular second sd. Maybe with encryption, so Obama see your data.
>>
>> Surely you mean Amazon VTL service?
>> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/latest/userguide/gateway-vtl.html
>
> Hey Dimitri: never tested that but would be probably another option. I was
> referring to regular Bacula disk based backups.

I didn't know about the "Amazon VTL service", it's interesting: it will surely work with bacula, it's a fake tape-library but a real disk-based-backup.

​I'm aware of a case ​of Bacula working with an Amazon VTL service. We are having occasional drive timeout issues. IMHO this is causing some issues with tapes being unloaded to different slots than that they were originally. After the timeout issues, the slot/volume information in Bacula's catalog are outdated for some volumes and an update slots shows that (also we can see this slot mess in an mtx output). We had configured Maximum Changer/Rewind/Open Wait directives to 900 as shown by lsscsi output for the drives. Also we had changed mtx-changer script value for timeout. We are still having some timeout issues with this configuration and now we are doing some tests with this value increased to 960.

The problem of VTL-vs-s3 it's only the price?
( http://aws.amazon.com/it/storagegateway/pricing/ )

Regards

​Regards,
Ana​