Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring to different host

2015-05-01 09:18:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring to different host
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>, Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>, Craig Shiroma <shiroma.craig.2 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 09:14:40 -0400
On 5/1/2015 2:18 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Concerning SELinux:  I tried running with SELinux for awhile quite a
> long time ago, and it turned out to be more painful than useful, so I
> turned it off.  I had turned it on to learn it and to write Bacula
> policies, but never got that far.

I've had the same experience with it after more than one attempt. The
crux of the issue is that a backup app like Bacula is anti-SELinux by
nature, since it must have read/write access to every single file on the
system. At least, that is the case for the client daemon. SELinux even
blocks the root user. Even the Dir daemon has features unfriendly to
SELinux, like RunScript, that are nevertheless important and essential
capabilities.

IMHO, the real issue is that SELinux does not have its own errno values.
Since it is another layer of access permissions, separate from
filesystem permissions, an SELinux denial should never return EACCES, as
that has always meant a filesystem permissions denial. If there were
errno value(s) specific to SELinux, then apps could warn that "SELinux
is preventing access to ...". Granted, SELinux has yet another API for
checking SELinux access permissions, but it far easier for apps to add
an error message for a specific errno than to incorporate yet another
API, so many devs do not bother. This leaves the user with insufficient
feedback. Worse, the mapping to existing errno values is not always
1-to-1 and can cause an app's error reporting to actively mislead the
user. This is what leads to an app reporting "file not found" when it
should be reporting "file exists, but SELinux doesn't allow you to see it".

> That said: since Bacula is part of the RedHat release, it is very likely
> that they already have policies for Bacula that might work for you.  If
> not, I know that they have policies (or had policies) for Amanda, and
> that might also be a good starting point as the needs of the programs
> are similar.
>
> If someone does have SELinux policies for Bacula, I would appreciate if
> you would contribute them to the community.
>
> Best regards,
> Kern

Fedora maintainer Simone Caronni frequents thie bacula-users list and
likely knows the answer to that.