Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Purge console messages?

2015-04-28 09:06:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Purge console messages?
From: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 13:02:22 +0000

Is there a way to clear the buffer containing the console messages waiting to be displayed in bconsole?

Or to purge anything older than, say, a day?

I already get all messages via e-mail, nicely collected in one mail per job.

Also, I use Webacula for the daily stuff like checking job results, so I don’t often fire up bconsole.

Just now I launched it, got that “you have messages”, and typed in the Dreaded Command ‘messages’.

And then spent the next few minutes (literally minutes), watching a backlog of messages from probably more than a month scroll over my SSH window at blazing speed.

Is there a way to tell bconsole to just kill that list, instead of acting like computers in bad movies do, where the hero can actually read all that stuff while it flies across his screen, and find the abnormality and fix the bug that’s killing the lunar colony while it happens?  :)

BTW, now that I’m here anyway, the reason why I launched the console is to go looking for what caused this.

I wouldn’t have asked the list (yet) as I expect to find some reason for it, searching and finding for yourself is a better teacher than asking someone else ;)

One job backs up a network share of about 600 GB, mounted through NFS on the SD because there’s no FD on the server.

Its last result, which was a FULL run, reported this:

2015-04-25 19:14:31   bacula-dir JobId 28704: Bacula bacula-dir 5.2.5 (26Jan12):
[snip]

  Non-fatal FD errors:    0

  SD Errors:              0

  FD termination status:  OK

  SD termination status:  OK

  Termination:            Backup OK

An INCREMENTAL run of the same job, started last night, reported this:

2015-04-27 20:06:00   bacula-dir JobId 28793: Prior failed job found in catalog. Upgrading to Full.

According to Webacula, there were NO failed jobs in the last 7 days.

There were no other runs of the same job scheduled between the full run last Saturday and the incremental that got bounced to full yesterday.

It’s the first time I see this happening. The configuration for this job hasn’t changed in months.