Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring LTO-6 SD...

2015-04-13 08:46:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring LTO-6 SD...
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: "Gary R, Schmidt" <grs AT mcleod-schmidt.id DOT au>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:43:53 -0300 (BRT)
> Hi,
> I am starting the process of replacing an existing but defunct Bacula
> (3.0.3) environment with a newer tape autoloader, and, of course, the
> latest Bacula.
>
> It broke some time ago (don't ask), so there is no upgrade happening
> here, it's new bits and pieces, in part, using the same hardware for the
> director.
>
> I am replacing a SCSI HP 1/8 G2 LTO-4 autoloader with an FC HP 1/8 G2
> LTO-6 autoloader, and I wonder just what settings I should use?
>
> The LTO-4 was configured like this:
>    Device {
>      Name = LTO-4
>      Media Type = LTO-4
>      Archive Device = /dev/rmt/0cbn
>      AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>      AlwaysOpen = yes;
>      RemovableMedia = yes;
>      RandomAccess = yes;
>      Maximum Network Buffer Size = 262144
>      Maximum Block Size = 262144
>      Maximum File Size = 5GB
>      Changer Command = "/opt/local/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S
> %a %d"
>      Changer Device = /dev/changer
>      Autochanger = yes
>      # Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
>      Alert Command = "sh -c '/opt/local/sbin/tapeinfo -f %c |grep
> TapeAlert|cat'"
>      ## If you have smartctl, enable this, it has more info than
> tapeinfo
>      ## Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
>    }
>
> And I wonder what I should change to better use the increased speed and
> capacity of the LTO-6.
>
> Almost by reflex I want to change the Maximum Block Size, and Maximum
> File Size, but to what?

Dear Gary: 512K is a nice and tested value for LTO-4, according to Kern. You
can try 1M, at your discretion.
Remember that tapes written with a given block size are not compatible to each
other.

Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F
04 a 15 de maio: Treinamento Telepresencial Bacula:
http://www.bacula.com.br/?p=2174
07 a 09 de maio: Treinamento Presencial em Curitiba (SoftSell):
http://www.softsell.com.br/
61 8268-4220
Site: www.bacula.com.br | Facebook: heitor.faria | Gtalk: heitorfaria AT gmail
DOT com