Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Reserving devices for pools

2015-04-02 13:55:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Reserving devices for pools
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: "Patricia A. Clark" <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 14:50:38 -0300 (BRT)
> I have a tape library with several LTO5 tape drives.  I have 3 tape pools and
> a scratch pool.  Pool1 is quite large and has most of the jobs.  The jobs
> are in a fairly standard, monthly FULL, weekly DIFFERENTIAL, and daily
> INCREMENTAL schedule.  The FULL backups are fairly evenly divided across
> 1st-4th Saturdays and are quite large (multiple TBs).  Pools 2 & 3 are
> smaller as are the jobs.  The issue that I am trying to solve is to have at
> least one tape drive available for Pools 2 & 3 that Pool1 doesn't use.

Hello Patricia. IMHO there are two Bacula safe ways to write on multiple tabe
library drives at the same time:

1. Having Maximum Concurrent Jobs in each device on bacula-sd (probably is what
you have). If you want to avoid tape spreading just increase the maximum value
for each device to more than all Jobs submited to Pool1.

2. Don't using Maximum Concurrent Jobs but scheduling Jobs for different pools
at a given time.

>It appears that the only way to do this is to use a different media type for
> Pools 2 & 3 and for any of the tape drives that I want reserved.

I don't linke using different media types for the same kind of media, but it's
my personal view.

> Of course
> this would mean that Pools 2 & 3 would not be able to share the Scratch
> pool?  Is anyone using multiple scratch pools or is that possible?

Never tested but seems possible. Of course the Scratch pools gotta have unique
names:

Pool Resource (Bacula Manual):

ScratchPool = pool-resource-name
This directive permits to specify a dedicate Scratch for the current pool. This
pool will replace the special pool named Scrach for volume selection. For more
information about Scratch see Scratch PoolTheScratchPool section of this
manual. This is useful when using multiple storage sharing the same mediatype
or when you want to dedicate volumes to a particular set of pool.

Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F
Need Bacula training?
https://www.udemy.com/bacula-backup-software/?couponCode=bacula-users
+55 61 8268-4220
Site: www.bacula.com.br | Facebook: heitor.faria | Gtalk: heitorfaria AT gmail