Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Possible bug/enhancement request regarding the "Volume" column in "Status Director" output

2014-11-26 09:41:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Possible bug/enhancement request regarding the "Volume" column in "Status Director" output
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:39:17 -0500
Bacula does not seem to be correctly determining the "Volume" column in the
stat dir output.

---[ tl;dr verson ]---
When considering volumes for the expected volume of an upcoming job, Bacula
appears to be ignoring the Job/JobDef options:

  Full Backup Pool =
  Incremental Backup Pool =
  Differential Backup Pool =

And only considers volumes from the "Pool = " line in the Job/JobDefs.

---[Full Version]---

On the server in question I have about 20 jobs/night that run, and am using
Josh Fisher's vchanger program to write to (10) magazines (removable eSATA
Drives), each with (60) 10GB file volumes on them.

Currently, magazine 5 is connected, Bacula knows what slot each file volume is
in, and all volumes on this magazine are "Enabled".

Below is a partial output of a current status dir command:

Scheduled Jobs:
Level          Type    Pri  Scheduled      Job Name   Volume
...snip...
Incremental    Backup  10  26-Nov-14 20:30   dns1     c0_0005_0067
Incremental    Backup  10  26-Nov-14 20:30   Helpdesk c0_0005_0067
Incremental    Backup  10  26-Nov-14 20:30   Voip     c0_0005_0067
Full           Backup  20  27-Nov-14 02:45   Catalog  c0_0005_0067

Most Jobs are set to run Full on the first Saturday of the month, Differential
on every other Saturday, and Incremental Sunday-Friday.

I have one JobDefs resource, called "Defaults", which is used by all Jobs,
with some minor, per-job overrides for Fileset names, Schedules, RunScripts,
etc.

In my "Defaults" Jobdef I have defined the Pool(s) for the Job using the
following:

JobDefs {
  Name = Defaults
  Level = Incremental
  Storage = c0
  Messages = Standard
  Pool =                     Offsite-eSATA-Full
  Full Backup Pool =         Offsite-eSATA-Full
  Incremental Backup Pool =  Offsite-eSATA-Inc
  Differential Backup Pool = Offsite-eSATA-Diff
...snip...
}

Volume c0_0005_0067 in currently in the Offsite-eSATA-Full pool, with a status
of "Append" and was the last volume used by last night's Full Catalog job...

Bacula knows that the first few jobs listed above are scheduled to be
Incremental, however, Bacula appears to be using the line:

"Pool = Offsite-eSATA-Full"

from the JobDefs, and ignoring the fact that there are specific Pool
definitions for Full, Incremental, and Differential backups.

When I change the "Pool ="  line to "Pool = Offsite-eSATA-Diff" (or Inc),
issue a reload and then status dir in bconsole, Bacula shows that the expected
volume for those Incremental jobs will be an appendable volume in whatever I
set the "Pool = " line to.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Bill

--