Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula can't make use of multi drives

2014-11-20 16:36:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula can't make use of multi drives
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Kelley, Jared" <jkelley AT popcap DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 18:33:23 -0300
Hi Jared,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Kelley, Jared <jkelley AT popcap DOT com> wrote:
Ok, I’ll reconfigure and let you know. Thanks for your help.

  To answer your question “Are my pool definitions are working?", in bconsole when I do a list volumes, or show pools, see below, you can see by the output bacula
thinks it has the correct volumes and slots assigned to each pool.  The functionality, however, is not working, i.e. bacula is only using 1 tape/volume in each pool for all jobs assigned to each pool.  So that is why I thought
​​
prefer mounted volumes might be my only fix.

​I was asking about you having more than one device in your storage directive pool:​

Pool {

  Name = database

  Pool Type = Backup

  Storage = Tape3, Tape4, Tape5, Tape6

​Could you please ​post a "select * from Media" from your MySQL bacula database (or whatever database you are using)?
The fact that bacula is only using 1 tape/volume in each pool for all jobs assigned to each pool is because of your "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20" in your device definition and autochanger definition too. You should spread your jobs over all the devices provided byt the autochanger using this directive. Suppose you have the following: 20 jobs that will write to volumes in the same pool using an autochanger storage. You can have all the 20 jobs spread over 20 drives in the autochanger this way:

1) In bacula-dir.conf, storage definition, set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20"
2) In bacula-sd.conf, autochanger definition, device definition, set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1"
3) Bacula director also needs to be able to run 20 concurrent jobs, setting "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20"
4) If all these jobs are from 20 different clients, there is no need to configure this directive on client side. But if you have more than one job from a client, you will need to set this directive on clients too. This will allow the clients to run concurrent jobs.

You can have other situations here, spreading the 20 jobs over 5 drives, so the others will wait for a drive reservation and so on. In this case, you can configure different priorities for groups of 5 jobs: jobs 1-5 with priority 10, jobs 6-10 with priority 20, etc. This way, your jobs with lower priority will wait for your 5 jobs runs first and this will work fine for jobs distributed over your drives/volumes.

When I talk about the "
prefer mounted volumes = no", that Bacula Systems does not recommend, I mean that if it is an important need to work with just one pool (and not different pools for different clients/jobs that I also prefer), and you are working with a local disk partition for your autochanger drives/volumes, this directive should work in a reasonable way in most cases.

Best regards,
Ana