Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to handle many storage devices?

2014-09-18 03:06:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to handle many storage devices?
From: "Roberts, Ben" <ben.roberts AT gsacapital DOT com>
To: Florian <florian.splett AT web DOT de>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 06:44:30 +0000
Hi Florian,

You would want a minimum of one Storage Device per distinct Media Type for a reserved restore device and there's no requirement to have a reserved restore device per client/job/etc so a single restore device would be OK. You can have additional reserved restore devices but unless you expect to be called upon to do more than one concurrent restore there's no benefit in doing so. Creating dozens of unnecessary devices would likely only cause confusion as to which ones are intended for which purpose (when manually running a job you can either specify drive=name, or you'll be prompted to pick a drive by numeric index and there's no obvious mapping of name to index without looking at the config files).

As an example, my file-based autochanger has six devices; one dedicated restore device, and 5 others since I wish to be able to run 5 jobs concurrently and set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs=1" on each of my devices to prevent interleaving. We do dozens of backups a day, and rarely need to do restores but when we do they'll be reasonably urgent, so this pattern is suitable for my workload. I may not want to interrupt a 3-day backup job to run a restore, but multiple restores can usually be done sequentially.

You should let your own business requirements dictate how you set your system up. These questions may help you choose the right setup:
- How many backups do you expect to run a day?
- How many do you want to run concurrently?
- How long do your average backup jobs take? (minutes, hours, days?)
- Do you want to avoid interleaving of multiple jobs onto the same volume?
- How often do you think you'll need to do restores?
- Are you likely to need to do multiple restores concurrently?
- Would interrupting a backup job in order to do an urgent restore be problematic?

Regards,
Ben Roberts

This email and any files transmitted with it contain confidential and proprietary information and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please return the email to the sender and delete it from your computer and you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email or its contents. This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of GSA Capital. GSA Capital Partners LLP is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered in England and Wales at Stratton House, 5 Stratton Street, London W1J 8LA, number OC309261. GSA Capital Services Limited is registered in England and Wales at the same address, number 5320529.